Sunday, May 9, 2010

Thrifted: The Cape of My Dreams


I went thrifting on Friday, and I found this gorgeous vintage wool cape at Goodwill for five dollars!  It is in perfect condition.  The lining is silky perfection, and the buttons are tortoiseshell-esque.  I hate winter, but I want it back just for a day, so I can wear this cape with boots and a jaunty beret wile I go skipping through a snowy meadow.


Although the cape made me giddy, Salvation Army was the source of the bulk of my haul.  Fridays are half-off if you're wearing a red shirt (in the fall/winter, they do some sort of KC Chiefs thing.  I have no idea why the red shirt for the rest of the year, but a bargain's a bargain, so I red-shirted it up!).  I got 3 cardigans, 4 patterned skirts, and a pair of American Eagle flip-flops, each for $1.00 or less.  I am trying to branch out with the whole retro/vintagey patterned skirt thing.  We'll see how it goes.  I'm afraid of looking like a grandma.  Any recommendations on pairings for any of my loot?

10 comments:

  1. What a great cape! I'm seeing brown leather boots, brown beret w/it. Great haul, looking L->>R, 2nd skirt calls for casual brown leather sandals, island girl tikki bar feel; 3rd/4th skirts beg for black patent leather peep toes, see Anne Kleine jarana! I'd love a white blouse w/ruffles around neck/decolletage, perhaps a black cardi w/#3, also #4...but wait, doesn't that sweater next to #4 match the #4 skirt exactly? The baby blue cardi w/solid black skirt, same ruffly white blouse and black patent peep toes. What bags/clutches do you have? Think u need those black patent peep toes w/poufy thing, for sure!
    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa, that cape is beautiful! You really found some amazing pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! I love Goodwill/Salvation Army!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what wonderful finds! When in doubt, I reach for a button down and a belt in a contrasting color. I like the mix between the somewhat masculine top and a firty, fun patterned skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the great comments, y'all! I don't always have the best thrifting luck, especially with cool vintage stuff, so I was pretty psyched about the cape. I've worn a couple of the other pieces from this batch, but a few computer glitches have been holding my outfit posts up. I'll be sharing soon, and I look forward to your feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely cape,I say wear the vintage and mix it up with some modern pieces, I usually pair vintage clothes with funky shoes or accessories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great finds!
    love the soft color on the cape...can picture it with gray outfits I think~ Lovely!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your cape find. I dont see very many Pentecostal bloggers. I'm glad I found you. I'm also pentecostal so you're in good company.

    http://fashiondujourdaily.blogspot.com/
    tweet me: @FASHIONdujour

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh I'm so unbelievably jealous of the cape you found. It's beautiful.

    http://wearingitonmysleeves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your feedback, so feel free to leave a comment. No profanity or general unpleasantness, please!